We have taken our family a number of times to Jaco and absolutely love the area. We have put a few of our favorite places to visit and eat. Just click the company name or links that are bolded to learn more.
Jaco is central to it all featuring fishing and surfing, golfing, beautiful beaches, and countless tours and activities. You can take an ATV trip through the jungle and explore the hidden waterfalls scattered throughout the region or zip line over the rainforest canopy for a dose of adrenaline coupled with the vibrant natural surroundings. It is easy to get to from the states and it is located just over one hour from San Jose. You don’t need a car because everything in town accessible by bike and foot, and taxies are readily available and usually about $2 to get anywhere in town from your condo.
[stag_map lat=”9.61712″ long=”-84.62964″ width=”100%” height=”350px” style=”none” zoom=”15″ type=”roadmap”]
Activities in and around Jaco:
- On your way from San Jose Airport to Jaco, you have to visit Puente del Río Tárcoles. You can walk across a bridge on a busy road to check out 20-30 live crocodiles. It’s free, but you will get some pressure to buy some novelties!
- For activities, Daystar or Lost Beach can set you up with all kinds of different trips and adventures.
- A great day trip is to Rainmaker Park. A private nature park 45 minutes from Jaco. Check out the post of our visit here.
- If want to do any zip lining, we have gone here. It is really close to Los Suenos & Jaco.
- If crocodiles and birds are what you want to see, then you have to visit Jose’s Crocodile Tour. Check out our post from our visit here.
- If you can make it to Playa Hermosa, that is a great beach. A lot of surfing there and a couple of good restaurants.
- We have also visited the National Park, Manual Antonio. It’s awesome and worth going.
- Los Sueños has a golf course, fishing and a couple of restaurants.
- We have rented our ATV’s at AXR in downtown Jaco and headed out to the jungle. Great way to spend a day.
- For the best surf lessons, you must use the Surfer Factory. Check out videos of our girls surfing during their lessons with Ohana and Surfer Factory.
- Croc’s Casino is a great place to stay, eat and visit. Check them out.
Some of our favorite restaurants in Jaco are:
- For the most selections and a fun environment, you have to visit the Jaco Walk Shopping Center. It is the home of 10+ restaurants and a number of retail stores.
- Hotel Villa Caletas. Great place to have dinner and drinks while viewing a breathtaking sunset. About 10 minutes from Jaco. On their site, check out the amphitheater pics.
- My favorite place to grab a good cup of coffee is at Bohio Coffee Roasters. Be sure to pick up some locally roasted beans for your trip home.
- Looking for an authentic Costa Rican breakfast? Hands down the best is Soda Jaco Rustico. It’s cheap and delicious.
- Want good, wood-fired pizza? Be sure to visit the Pizza Bar or Pizza Pata.
- Want homemade Craft Beer, Gourmet Pub Fare & Creative Garden Cocktails? Be sure to check out PuddleFish.
- Clarita’s Beach Bar – This is where we go for breakfast. Right on the ocean.
- Pachi’s Pan – Great dessert and pastry place
- Lemon Zest Restaurant – Great place for dinner
- Tsunami Sushi – Great sushi
- Graffiti Restro Cafe & Wine Bar – Good dinner place
- Amancio’s Pizza Pasta & Drinks – Great pasta and pizza
- Green Room – Good breakfast and lunch
- There is also a good grocery store called Mas X Menos on the main street.
- Croc’s Casino is a great place to eat.
- Poseidon Restaurant
Places to stay:
- Bahia Azul. This is where we typically stay and it is in a great location to Jaco
- Croc’s Casino is a great place to stay. Check them out.
- You can find more condos at Daystar or Lost Beach.